(919) 496-2172
215 E. Nash Street
Louisburg, NC 27549


Collections FAQ

Q: If my mortgage company pays my property taxes through escrow, why do I receive the bill?  

A:  Even though you have agreed to have your property taxes escrowed and paid through your mortgage company, we still mail the property tax bill to the correct owner.  Mortgage Companies generally request a file with all Franklin County Tax Bills; they then select the payments that they are responsible for.  To ensure your property taxes are paid timely, you may want to send a copy of your property tax bill with your next house payment.  

Q:  What is Tax Certification and how do I complete it?

Effective April 1st, 2015 the Franklin County Register of Deeds will no longer accept any deed transferring real property for registration unless the Franklin County Tax Collector has certified that no delinquent ad valorem taxes, or other taxes that the administrator is charged are a lien on the property.

Our office will be available weekdays (excluding county observed holidays) from 8am to 5pm to provide the tax certification services at no charge.  You may stop by the Collections department to have your deeds certified prior to recordation.  If you participate in eRecording with the Register of Deeds office, the electronic system will accommodate the correct routing of the deeds for you.

Mail-in requests for tax certification should be addressed to:

Franklin County Tax Collector 
P.O. Box 503 
Louisburg, NC 27549 
attn:  Tax Certification

Q: Can I check to see if my taxes are paid?

A: You may do so by calling us at 919-496-2172, option 2 or visit our website For escrowed payments, you need to check for payments in the second week of September to ensure that your mortgage company paid your tax bill correctly.

 Q: When are property taxes due?

A: For real estate, individual personal property, and business personal property, taxes are due September 1st for that current tax year. However, you can make prepayments prior to the bills coming out in late July- early August.  Also, you will be able to receive a discount for any money received prior to September 1st.  These taxes will become delinquent after January 5th of the following year and subject to enforced collections efforts.  For registered motor vehicles, you will receive the tax amount on your registration renewal.  This is called a combined bill.  Unlicensed vehicles should be listed as individual personal property by requesting a listing form during the month of January.

Q. Even though I paid my property tax bill, I received a past due notice, why?

A.  If your property tax bill was paid coincidentally just before the delinquent tax notices are mailed, the payment may have been received after the file was sent for processing.  To avoid this situation, please make all property tax payments before the delinquent date arrives.  You may also receive a past due notice if property taxes are delinquent, and the payment that is made does not include the interest that has accrued for being late.  Again, to avoid this situation, please make all property tax payments before they are past due and delinquent.

Q: If I have sold the property that I received a property tax bill for, what should I do?

A:  You should forward the property tax bill to the new owner unless you are going to pay it.  Agreements that are made between buyers, sellers, and attorneys are not our concern.  However, since property taxes are a lien on real estate, it is in the buyers best interest to make sure all property taxes are settled before the property is purchased at closing.

Q: Can I make a payment over the phone or internet?

A:  Credit card payments are accepted through our third party partner, CC Payment Service.  There is a non-refundable convenience fee charged for this service.  The payment will be posted to the account on the next business day by 1:00 PM.  To pay by phone, call 1-919-277-2242, or online, visit .  You will need to know your tax year, tax account number, and bill number in order to make a payment by phone.  Call 919-496-2172 or visit Tax Collection Search  to obtain the correct payment amount, if needed.  * Please provide a good, daytime phone number when making a credit card payment. *

Q: If I have filed for bankruptcy, should I be receiving information about property tax bills?

A: Even though you have filed for bankruptcy, we will continue to send property tax bills for property that is currently owned by you.  We cannot pursue collection actions for delinquent taxes, but regular bills will be sent.  If you do receive delinquent materials from our office, please contact our office so we can verify that your trustee or attorney has forwarded the correct information to our office.  If not, then you may have to contact your attorney for this information to be submitted.


For any other questions, contact our office.