A Rezoning Application is required when the applicant can not utilize the property for a proposed use. The property owner must sign all rezoning applications. Rezoning processes are governed by North Carolina General Statute; therefore, we are required by law to follow specific procedures.
PROCESS AND PROCEDURE
1. It is strongly encouraged that the applicant meet with Planning Staff to discuss the proposed rezoning for compliance with the County’s Comprehensive Land Use Plan. Please contact the Planning & Inspections Department at (919) 496-2909 to schedule a meeting.
2. A typical rezoning takes approximately sixty (60) to ninety (90) days, contingent upon a complete submittal. This process may take longer dependant on the actions of the Planning Board and / or the Board of Commissioners.
3. Rezoning Petitions must be submitted to the Planning & Inspections Department fifteen (15) working days prior to the next regularly scheduled Planning Board meeting. Planning staff will review rezoning request for sufficiency, incomplete submissions will be returned to the applicant.
4. The County’s Planning Board meets on the second Tuesday of each month, unless it is a legal holiday. Meetings are held at the County Administration Building (113 Market Street, Louisburg, NC) at 7:00 P.M. in the County Commissioners boardroom on the second floor. The applicant and/or designated representative are advised to attend the meeting. The Planning Board is a recommending body and therefore does not make the final decision on rezoning.
5. Following the Planning Board meeting, Planning Staff will post a sign on the property to provide information related to the date and time of the Board of Commissioner public hearing. Additionally, notice of the public hearing will be published in a newspaper of general circulation within Franklin County for two consecutive weeks. Said notice shall be published for the first time no less than ten (10) days and no more than twenty-five (25) days prior to the public hearing date. Adjacent property owners will be mailed notice of the proposed rezoning request and associated public hearing. Note: In the event of a third party rezoning request the applicant is required to notify the owner of the subject parcel of the rezoning petition and shall certify to the Board of Commissioners that the owner of the parcel of land shown on the county tax listing has received actual notice of the proposed amendment and a copy of the notice of the public hearing.
6. The Board of Commissioners will hold a public hearing the month following the Planning Board meeting on the third Monday. The meeting will occur at the County Administration Building (113 Market Street, Louisburg, NC) at 7:00 P.M. in the County Commissioners boardroom on the second floor. The applicant and/or designated representative are advised to attend the meeting.
7. If a rezoning petition request is denied by the Board of Commissioners, a period of twelve (12) months must elapse before another petition for the same rezoning request may be submitted.