1. How do I find out what my property is zoned?
Contact the Planning Office at 919-496-2909. Please have an address, record number, or pin number available to help planning staff identify the parcel.
2. What days and hours is the Planning and Inspections office open?
The Planning and Inspections office is open Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m to 5 p.m
3. Am I required to obtain a zoning permit for a fence?
No, the County does not regulate fences, however the fence should be inside the property lines.
4. Am I required to obtain a zoning permit for a pool?
Yes, below ground and above ground pools require zoning permits.
5. Does the County enforce Homeowners Covenants?
No, the County does not enforce Homeowners Covenants. The County only enforces UDO. For more information contact your Homeowner's Association.
6. Am I required to obtain a zoning permit for a storage building?
Yes, the county does require you to obtain a zoning permit for a storage building. In order to apply for the zoning permit, the applicant needs to bring in a site plan showing the location of the proposed building, two copies of building plans, and a check for $27.50.
7. What are the setbacks for an Accessory building?
There must be a minimum of 10 feet between all buildings and 10 feet from the side and rear property lines. The Accessory Building is not to protrude past the front line of the house.
8. How long is a zoning permit valid?
A zoning permit is valid for 6 months from the date it was issued.
9. How long is a septic permit valid?
A septic permit is valid for 5 years from the date it was issued.
10. How do I locate the well and septic tank on my property?
Contact the Franklin County Environmental Health Department. (919-496-8100)
11. Am I required to obtain a permit if my property is located within a flood zone?
You will need a height elevation certificate with the foundation plan prepared by are registered surveyor.
12. What is the oldest model mobile home that can be set up in Franklin County?
The oldest model mobile home that can be setup in Franklin County is 1976.