- Cards are free to Franklin County residents as well as out-of-county residents.
- Cards are issued as follows:
- Juvenile (up to age 16)—with a parent’s or legal guardian’s signature (parent or legal guardian must be present at the central or branch library where the card is issued and must present current and valid proof of address and photo identification). The parent or legal guardian signing for a child’s card is responsible for any item checked out on the child’s card.
- * Adult (17 and over)—must present current and valid proof of address and photo identification
- The card you will receive is valid for a one-year period at all Franklin County Branch Libraries, including the Bookmobile.
- The first card is issued at no cost. The replacement fee for a lost or unusable card is $2.00.
- The patron is required to notify the library immediately if his/her card is lost or stolen. S/he is responsible for all materials checked out on the card until the library is notified.
- The patron shall present his/her card when checking out materials from the library.
- The patron is responsible for all items [not to exceed fourteen (14) items at any one time] checked-out on his/her card.
- An adult must be present for items to be checked out on his/her card.
- Most materials can be checked out for two weeks. Audiovisual equipment checkout times vary. You must call for time on a specific piece of equipment. Only two (2) video games can be checked out at a time. Reference items are considered special items in the collection and are not regularly circulated. Deviations from this policy may be made at the discretion of the librarian. Items designated as such may then be checked out on a one or two day loan. Some reference items, because of their high usage and rate of loss, may be checked out with a deposit equal to the cost of the item being required. Fines on overdue reference materials accrue at the rate of $1.00 per business day.
- Library materials which are needed by a number of individuals during a limited period of time may be designated as temporary reference materials. If permitted, these items will be circulated as reference materials and follow the policy for the circulation of such items.
- A deposit (not to exceed the value of the item) may be required , at the librarian’s discretion, for the loan of materials with a high loss rate.
- You have the option of renewing materials for up to two additional two-week periods, as long as there is no reserve on the particular item. This may be done online, by phone, or in person. The librarian may recall a renewed item at any time, as demand warrants.
- A 24-hour book drop is available at each library location.
- Overdue fines for late returns are $0.15 per day per item with a maximum of $5.00 per item. An item is considered overdue the second business day (1 day of grace) following the due date.
- Patrons who have been assessed overdue fines will be considered delinquent until the fines are paid, even after the materials have been returned. Overdue items that are returned in the book drop are subject to fines just as ones returned to the circulation desk. A record of all fines owed will be kept.
Reserves and Holds
- Reserves and holds may be requested and placed on items with the exception of reference materials. Exceptions may be made for classroom use and approved by the librarian.
- Audio books (CD, cassette, Playaway)
- Audiovisual equipment
- Books (regular and large print)
- Magazines (except the most current)
- Video Games (PS2, PS3, Wii, Xbox)
- Videos (DVD and VHS)