Health Department

 (919) 496-2533
107 Industrial Drive, Suite C
Louisburg, NC 27549

Health Department

Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) is a federal program that provides food to low-income pregnant, postpartum, and breastfeeding women, and infants and children until the age of five. The program provides nutrition education, supplemental foods, breastfeeding promotion and support, and referrals to health care. The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) funds the WIC Program.

What food is available through WIC?

Nutritious foods rich in protein, iron, calcium, and vitamins A and C. These are key nutrients commonly missing in the diets of the WIC target population. Participants exchange WIC food vouchers at authorized retail grocery stores and pharmacies.

Eligible Foods

milk,cereal, eggs, tuna, peanut butter, dried beans, dried peas, carrots, juice, cheese, infant cereal, and infant formula                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

  • Who is eligible for WIC?
  • Pregnant women
  • Breastfeeding women who have had a baby in the last 12 months
  • Women who have had a baby in the last 6 months
  • Infants
  • Children up to 5 years

You must also have a health risk factor based on:

  • Height and weight    
  • Blood test for low iron
  • Health history
  • Diet history

How do I apply for WIC?

  • Call the Franklin County WIC Office at 496-6454 for an appointment to apply for WIC.
  • You must meet income requirements
  • If you are pregnant, you may include your baby as a family member.

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal and, where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or if all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities and wish to file either an EEO or program complaint please contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136 (in Spanish).

Updated December 2013 

Nutrition Program

  • Kim Campbell, WIC Director
  • Nell Bowman, Nutritionist