UPCOMING IMPORTANT ELECTION LAW CHANGES
- ELIMINIATION OF PRE-REGISTRATION – EFFECTIVE SEPTEMBER 1, 2013
The Board of Elections will no longer pre-register individuals under 18, unless they will be 18 on or before the day of the next general election. However, those already pre-registered prior to September 1, 2013, will be processed and registered on February 10, 2014 if they will be 18 by the next general election.
- ADDITIONAL REGISTRATION LOCATIONS – EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 1, 2013
The county senior centers and county parks and recreation services office will be additional sites where voters can register to vote or make changes to their registration.
- WAIVER OF FEES FOR PHOTO ID AND BIRTH CERTIFICATES – EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2014
Fee would be waived for special identification cards and certified birth certificates
- or marriage licenses if the individual signs a declaration that the voter:
1) is registered or registering to vote and;
2) does not have other photo identification needed to vote (NC Driver’s License, US Passport, US Military Identification Card, A Veterans Identification Card, A Tribal Enrollment Card or an expired one of the previous cards if over age 70 that was not expired on the day the voter reached the age of 70).
3) as provided in Senate Bill 712, has a physician's letter certifying that a severe disability causes the person to be homebound, DMV shall adopt rules allowing for application for or renewal of a special photo identification card by means other than a personal appearance.
NOTE: MAKING A FALSE OR FRADULENT STATEMENT(S) ON THIS DECLARATION COULD BE A CLASS 1 FELONY.
- ABSENTEE VOTING – EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2014
A request for an absentee ballot must be made in writing on a form created by the NC State Board of Elections and signed by the voter, near relative or legal guardian. This form will be available at the county Board of Elections office, as a downloadable form from the NC State Board of Elections website (www.ncsbe.gov). The ballot return envelope will require two witness signatures or one notary stamp and signature rather than the one witness signature required today.
- ELIMINATE SAME DAY VOTER REGISTRATION – EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2014
Same day voter registration is repealed.
NOTE: THE BOARD OF ELECTIONS WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO REGISTER NEW VOTERS DURING EARLY VOTING.
- EARLY VOTING SITES WITHIN A COUNTY – EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2014
The beginning date of the early voting period will change from the third Thursday before an election (current) to the second Thursday before an election and would require the early voting period to end at 1:00 PM on the last Saturday before the election. However, early voting sites must be available the same amount of hours as were available during the 2010 general election.
- ELIMINATION OF STRAIGHT PARTY VOTING – EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2014
Straight party voting will no longer be possible on any ballot. Voters must specifically select their candidate of choice for each office.
- VOTING OUT OF PRECINCT – EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2014
Voter will only be allowed to vote in the precinct in which they reside. NOTE: PROVISIONAL BALLOTS OF VOTERS VOTING OUT OF PRECINCT CAN NOT BE COUNTED.
- PHOTO IDENTIFICATION – EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2016
All qualified voters voting in person are to present photo ID bearing any reasonable resemblance to the voter. Voters without photo ID MUST vote a provisional ballot and provide the required photo ID before Canvass.
NC Senate Bill 712 http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2013/Bills/Senate/PDF/S712v3.pdf